18.8.14

LETS GO BACK TO SCHOOL.

                         

Not school school silly. I'm talking crafty school.... A place of hopes and dreams bursting with creative energy.
I love learning new skills, and I wanted to have a chat about the best ways to learn the crafts you've always wanted to do, and where it may lead you. So pop the kettle on and we'll have a nice cup of tea.

                     

I've been back to learn some fabulous things, some of which I've used as a career, some as a stepping stone for other things, and others purely for fun. With all this learning I'm now officially called a professional hobbiest. Meaning my career is made up of lots of little bits that I enjoy. 
It's never to late to learn something new! I've enjoyed courses in dress making to sugar craft. Hairdressing to interior design, etc, and I'm still going.

                                  
                                  (Another hobby... Vintage styling and photography)

So let me share with you some usefull tips. If your thinking of changing your career entirely good for you! I'd advise anyone thinking of doing this to go on a little taster course. Lots of evening schools and collages are offering these now. They are perfect for dipping your toes to see if it's just right for you.
You never know where this may lead, I've attended many a taster course to discover it was actually the other bit I wanted to do... 

Courses can also be a stepping stone onto the next thing, sometimes you need to start in one place and it can be a journey of many roads before you figure out 'ohhh this is what I want to do'.
I did a years interior design course which was fantastic, but more importantly from this, I realised I didn't want to design people's houses, but the things in them. And that has now taken me onto painting again to design fabrics and papers.. This is what I mean by the stepping stone system.

                   

Let's talk a little bit about learning online. There are many online courses you can do these days, from photography to languages, they are good for those that can't get to the classroom, and can be a very flexible way to learn. Don't be fooled into thinking it will be easy though, as these courses need just as much commitment. I advise you to use the learning platforms so you can chat with tutors and other students, as you will need this support! You can't just lean over and ask if your doing it right.... I did my interior design course this way as I just couldn't get out to do it. It was amazing! I still can't get over how involved it was, and I learnt more than I could imagine from it, and yes it was hard lol.

                    

You may prefer to take little snippet courses at your local evening school. Just check in your local paper, they should be advertising now. Here you will find courses in floristry, pattern making, patch work, knitting.... The list is endless. I did a 6 week sugar craft class and loved it. The classes are often small, the teachers friendly and hugely informative. Plus they are local and usually very reasonable. They are also great for meeting like minded people and making new friends.

                 

And last but by no means least... YouTube and books.
I've learned so much from YouTube it never ceases to amaze me. So many people sharing their knowledge with you, and for free.... Amazing! 
Books too can be a wonderful way to learn as you can keep dipping into them. Both these things require no financial outlay or time commitment. Being self taught is a wonderful thing and many creative people I know learn this way. There is nothing wrong with it, just keep in mind that if you want to make a profession out of it... Let's say photography, then prospective employers will probably want to see some sort of certificate.

                               

         I hope your inspired to learn something new, and maybe enrol on a course.

                                                               Good luck!








Share:

No comments

Post a Comment

© The Vintage Good Life | All rights reserved.
Blog Layout Created by pipdig